Monday, June 1, 2009

Liberation from Self-Love

Here is more Vincent:
Compared to greater endeavors, self-love is mundane and tiresome. Consequently, the more thoroughly I can be done with such tedium, the freer my soul will soar to its God-intended heights.
One of the leading causes of my natural tendency to self-love is fear. I fear that if I do not love myself there will no one to love me quite so well. An even more significant cause of self-love is a lack of persuasion that there is someone out there who is worthy to be loved more than I. Arrogance lies beneath both of these causes: I love myself supremely because I am the most worthy person I know to be loved and because I think I can do a better job at it than anyone else. Such arrogance makes me dangerous, yet it is deeply ingrained in my flesh.
Thankfully, the gospel frees me from the shackles of self-love by addressing both of these causes. First, the gospel assures me that the love of God is infinitely superior to any love I could ever give myself.[1] And the deeper I go into the gospel, the more I experience the truth of His claim and thereby know how far His love surpasses even my own.[2] His astonishing love for me frees me up to move on to causes far greater than myself.[3]
Secondly, the gospel reveals to me the breathtaking glory and loveliness of God,[4] and in so doing, it lures my heart away from the love of self and leaves me enthralled by Him instead. The more I behold God’s glory in the gospel, the more lovely He appears to me. And the more lovely He appears, the more self fades into the background like a former love interest who can no longer compete for my affections.[5] (Milton Vincent, A Gospel Primer)

[1] John 15:13
[2] Rom. 8:32
[3] 2 Cor. 5:14
[4] 2 Cor. 4:4; 1 Tim. 1:11
[5] Phil. 3:7,8

No comments: