Thursday, April 16, 2009

Urban, Suburban, and Incarnation

I recently came upon an unusual book called Sidewalks in the Kingdom: New Urbanism and the Christian Faith, by Eric O. Jacobson. What is unusual is not the topic of cities, but that a Christian has put positive thought into city life. Jacobson challenges the individualism and consumerism of suburbia. While not arguing that living in the suburbs in wrong, he does believe the vast movement away by the evangelical church from the cities is been without careful thought to the social consequences (for suburbia and the city’s poor). One example is that cities tend to bring together diverse people who walk and share public spaces like parks and transportation. One the other hand, suburbs tend to cater to the individual in his automobile rather than walking, and are zoned in such a way that diversity is unlikely. Why do I bring up this urbanism on a blog focused on the grace of Jesus Christ? Because I believe that only a vision of God’s grace and glory will motivate suburban Christians go back to the cities and take the risks to joyfully incarnate the gospel. Only God’s grace can free me from the idols of safety and convenience that my chosen place has given me over the years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so heartened by your post. I read an article yesterday (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705296700,00.html) and in the comments section, read two different posts from suburban dwellers who both stated that their aversion to the city is in part comprised of their desider not to have to trip over or dodge panhandlers. I am not a person of faith, but it struck me as decidedly uncharitable for someone fortunate enough to live in the the suburbs to express such open distain for the less fortunate. You post, in my opinion, much more fully expresses the embodiment of Christian values.

Mark Bair said...

Thanks for sharing that comment. It is sad indeed--especially when people who say Jesus loves them would be so uncharitable. Do you know of any other good reading on this topic?

Mark