Thursday, May 21, 2009

Does the Gospel have a bearing on daily life?

I recently attended a workshop called, "The Functional Centrality of the Gospel." The speaker, Mike Bullmore, said this: “One of the greatest challenges of ministry is to help people actually see the connections between the gospel and the thinking and behavior that make up their everyday lives. We know well the centrality of the gospel message but in order for it to have a functional (functioning) centrality it must be clearly, carefully and consistently connected to the real issues – issues of thought and conduct – of people’s lives.” He went to challenge the assumption that people who have heard the gospel stated in church can automatically connect it to the struggles they have. Bullmore calls on preachers to do this work in their own lives and help people learn to do so. I realized that I have often proclaimed the gospel in words, but in my actual struggles with fear and insecurity, the gospel is not functioning. I lean on false saviors like work and accomplishment. No wonder I was not showing people how to make the gospel functionally central. I didn't know. I am now begining to understand. May God keep teaching me so I show others the wonder of the gospel.

No comments: