Monday, May 18, 2009

Two Recent Finds

My friend Gary sent me these recomendations:

Jerry Bridges’ new book The Bookends of the Christian Life is an outstanding exposition of what it looks like to depend in all areas of our lives on the two great “bookends” of Christ’s imputed righteousness and the power of the Holy Spirit. You may find that this book “opens the eyes of your heart” (Eph. 1:17ff.) to God’s grace in a life-changing way. Read it slowly and prayerfully.

Milton Vincent’s book The Gospel Primer does an amazing job of expounding the implications of the gospel for things like: daily protection from Satan, a cure for distrust, freedom from sin’s power, loving my brothers and sisters, a heart for the lost, cultivating humility, liberation from self-love, obedience motivated by love, perspective in trials, a heart for the poor, generosity, etc. Here is Vincent’s thesis: “The gospel is so foolish (according to my natural wisdom), so scandalous (according to my conscience), and so incredible (according to my timid heart), that it is a daily battle to believe the full scope of it as I should. There is simply no other way to compete with the forebodings of my conscience, the condemnings of my heart, and the lies of the world and the Devil than to overwhelm such things with daily rehearsings of the gospel.”

2 comments:

Nick said...

Where does the Bible speak of "Christ’s imputed righteousness"?

Anonymous said...

Loved the Milton quote. So helpful. Thx
Andy
The Crowded House
Sheffield