Monday, February 23, 2009

Music and the Gospel

Col. 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. (NIV)

This passage is not necessarily commanding us to sing every time we get into scripture, but is seems to at the very least commend songs as a way to experience the richness of the word of Christ. I want to make two basic points about the role of gospel-centered songs:

1. Gospel-Centered Songs help the Word of Christ Dwell in You Richly

For close to thirty years, I have been more or less a critic and a cynic (a Spirit-quencher) when it comes to Christians singing. Part of this was based on having a caricature of Christians singing (that people who like doing that are not really into serving God in a vigorous way), and partly from smugness (that my intellectual way is superior). My attitude was also from a sense of emotional awkwardness.
Then, about a year ago, I was in New York City for a conference on the gospel. Like many Christian conferences, the schedule indicated there would be “worship time” before the talks. So I planned on tuning out or putting up with the worship time. But my friends and I ended up standing with the group and singing along (and enjoying it). This happened not only because the musicians were good and the content of songs gospel-centered, but God Himself did something to my heart during that time of worship. He filled me with joy about His grace shown through Jesus on the cross in a new way. God had been working on me in this way for a few months before going to New York. On the drive there, I was really moved by Van Morrison’s version of Be Thou My Vision.
I believe one of the reasons that music drives home the gospel is because the joy of the grace of God is not full without a certain kind of expression or engagement. Think about what these lyrics are saying:
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.

“Tune my heart!” Yes, that’s it, because the subject matter (“streams of mercy”) demands expression (“call for songs of loudest praise”). When I read or hear the gospel, my mind is pleased and satisfied with the truth and reasonableness of it. But there is another part of me, my heart, which wants to respond to the gospel. It wants to unleash emotion! I want to jump! You do too, but you don’t want to risk embarrassment and disappointment! It is like Ps. 95, where the author calls on us to “shout joyfully.” As C.S. Lewis said, “I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment.”
It is similar to when I feel a strong sense of love or appreciation for my wife and I move close and touch her and say, “I love you! I’m so glad I know you!” I are not at this moment saying, “I have come to see your objective value and will be committed to serve you.” That is there, but something more is there… Songs are a universal human way of engaging with what we believe and love.
Music also works the other way. Not only can it be a way of expressing joy, but music can bring you into joy from a state out of sorrow and despair. I think the devil can be fought with music (sometimes only with music) because he attacks and lures the heart and imagination with art and music. That is, he deceives us by stealing our affections.

2. Gospel-Centered Songs Help Non-Christians Become Aware of their Need for God

I used to think that songs of praise would turn-off non-Christians, so we should have musical entertainment instead. But notice Paul’s view:
But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you. ( 1 Cor. 14:24,25)

One of the things Paul included in what a vital Christian meeting has going on is hymns. Along with teaching and discussing the word of God, people seemed to be singing the word of God. I know of people who were initially more impacted by exposure to Christians singing grace-oriented songs than they were by teaching.

Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name;
make known among the nations what he has done.
Sing to him, sing praise to him;

tell of all his wonderful acts. (Ps. 105:1,2)

Thus believers are continually told to sing and praise God before the unbelieving nations. God is to be praised before all the nations, and as he is praised by his people, the nations are summoned and called to join in song.

No comments: